Thursday, September 1, 2011

I keep trying to cement my default font and ink color, but it keeps reverting back to blogspot default!  There are so many things I need to learn which is one of the reasons, beside wanting to have a way of communicating what is going on here in Atlanta, that I am doing this blog.  I want to learn more so I will keep at it!

Yesterday I went to Whole Foods.  I remember so well how I loved the little Wellspring Grocery store that opened in Durham around 1982.  It had delicious cheeses, bins of whole grains of all kinds and great produce.  Then it grew and a new, fancy store was opened in Durham and then one in Raleigh and, I believe, Chapel Hill as well.  I loved shopping there.  Then we moved  to other places and Wellspring was bought by Whole Foods.  I'm not sure who copied who, but the current Whole Foods stores look just like the big Wellsprings that were built in the Triangle area. But now I just can't get so excited about these stores anymore.  I'm just too old.  All the earnest people shopping in that store, trying to eat their way to a better, more special life.  I just don't think food can do that (although I do believe in eating good and tasty food!) by being specially  labled and packaged.  I had to stifle my snort when I saw the bar with it's claim of cleansing the body - and this was an energy bar, not a bar of soap!  And this "whole foods" store had a terrible stock of whole wheat flour - Lunardi's has a bigger selection.  On the plus side, I did find the good apple cidar and sherry vinegars I couldn't find at Publix.

Outside in the Whole Foods parking lot I took this picture.


And this one.



This is the building that was recently bought by a developer who plans to make a market like in the Ferry Building.  It is a huge building and looks especially big when on the street in front of it.  The building sits right on the road and when you drive past it it looms over your head. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember Wellspring!

    That's a beautiful building, I wonder how long it will take them to turn it into the big market.

    ReplyDelete